Tuesday, September 16, 2014

RetroClean #2 ... The Red One

was on edge all day yesterday worrying about this baby.
It's so cool...and SO VERY threadbare. 
It was in the worst condition....
Many areas completely worn through.
Of course, it was my favorite.
What if I ruin it?
It's so unique, from the 1800s, curved piecing, machine quilted..probably on a treadle, repaired many times, embroidered instructions on bed placement.
And, I just love the Campbell's Tomato Soup color.
needed to launder it...it had such potential...I had to try.
I knew RetroClean would be my best bet.
It had worked well on the blue one.

I soaked it for about 24 hours...
This time indoors as rain was forecasted and I worried about exposing it to sunlight.
I stirred it gently every hour or so...daylight only.
You wouldn't have believed the color the water was...
100+ years of dust and other assorted residue in my guest bathtub....
should've snapped a picture of it.
Blogging Fail.

Here are the before and after shots....
& the back...
While a few light stains remain, I'm thrilled with the results. 
I could soak it again, and probably get a bit more discoloration out.
IMHO, it looks great and it's not worth taking the chance it might fall apart.
I'm proud of myself, too.
I feel like I restored these 2 beauties...
If they could talk, they'd definitely thank me.
It was totally worth the fuss!
I will keep RetroClean in my laundry room forever.

I have one more antique...the darker of the blue & whites. 
It's in the best condition of the three. 
I think I'm going to wait a few days to deal with it. 
Let myself regroup from the anxiety so I can enjoy the process this time!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! what a difference! Beautiful! I am guessing it probably weighs at least a few pounds less :)

    I am glad I don't have to scrub out your bathtub...shudders!

    Have a great day!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to retro clean the one I brought back from Boston.
    I think the red is my favorite, but I do love me some red.
    BK

    ReplyDelete

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.