Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ray Rice & My Mice

First, there is nothing Quilty or fun about this post.
I have just learned that the mice are back.
I woke Murray last night because Alvin was agitated. 
He assured me all was well.
He is a liar. 
He made a lunchtime confession via cell phone.
Apparently, the beasts have returned. 
I am sitting with my feet up in the chair awaiting rescue.
Gah!

That must mean it's time for another rant.
If you don't like my rants, leave now.

Ray Rice was not fired because he beat his wife.
Ray Rice was fired because a video of him beating his wife was released.
This is NOT a win against domestic violence. 
It's tragic statement about our society.

I hate football.
I didn't always hate it.
I started hating it when they keep replaying Joe Thiesmans broken leg on the news. 
Why did we need to watch that?
More than once, even.
Then I realized how all those hits were effecting the brains of retired players.
It's disturbing how little was done about this for so long.
Right around the same time, football players started behaving like thugs. 
Perhaps they were always thugs acting like All American Elite Athletes. 
Perhaps it's a result of brain injury.
Who knows?
It really doesn't matter when it all started.
What matters is, it's still happening.

During play, violence is the goal. 
In bars, at lavish parties, or in this case, in an elevator, we are horrified. 
But why?
After all, the players are bigger, faster & stronger each year. 
Why do you think that is?
Parents are putting thier 6 year olds in uniforms & teaching them to be tough. 
We're hiring trainers and giving kids hormones to make them better.
We scream, charging up & down the sideline, cursing & flailing our arms.
Then, we expect them to magically behave as gentlemen upon removing the uniform?
The loud cheering stops when the pads come off. 
I've seen many a kid chastised in parking lots because of performance. 
We are teaching our children that violence is an acceptable way to earn a lot of money.
Teaching them that making piles of money at the cost of your health is a good decision. 
How can we expect them to respect another person, when their own life is so disposable?
They can earn a degree from a top university by focusing on sport instead of academics.
No one is teaching them to take pride in themselves, their smarts or any other achievements. 
Our kids see these 'heroes' driving fancy cars, dripping in jewels, surrounded by gorgeous women.
Many of these idols can't read or write, and everybody knows it. 
We've gone from 'be all you can be' to 'get what you can get.'
We pay MUCHO DINERO to go and watch these games. 
We spend bazillions NFL sponsored products. 
(Ok, bazillions is a stretch, but you get what I mean)

have many football loving friends & family.
Some of my favorite young men played football.
They were the lucky ones, having loving, balanced upbringings.
Liking football doesn't make you a bad person.
I get that this is a great opportunity for inner city kids.
Sometimes the only opportunity.
I appreciate the circumstances that caused this mess. 
But that doesn't mean it's right. 
I don't pretend this is limited to the sport of football.
WE GOT BIG PROBLEMS IN OUR SOCIETY, PEOPLE!

The outrage about Ray & Janay Rice is justified. 
And baffling.
We act so surprised.
We blame the judicial system, the NFL, the Ravens, the media, the Commish...
There is enough fault to go around, that's for sure. 
But, in truth, I think we need to look deeper.
Or, we will soon be aghast at a similar, tragic scenario.

Love one another, folks!
Except mice...violence against mice is encouraged & appreciated. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.