Monday, August 18, 2014

The Road to Compliance

A few weeks back, we received a notice from the HOA informing us we were in violation of the rules.
It seems our home was an eyesore due to under mulched flower beds & stains on the driveway.
Horror of a Horrors!
I quickly hired a power washer and took care of the driveway.
I called around to landscapers & they wanted $500. & $700. to mulch the beds.
That seemed ridiculous.
After 20 bags @ $3.33, I'm done.
Since I paid retail for the mulch, it's safe to say that these guys were charging me $400 in labor.
I am old.
It is hot.
I was moving slow and taking lots of breaks. 
It took me about 3 hours to spread 20 bags. 
That comes to approx. $133.00/hour for labor. 
Are you serious?
It's not rocket science. 
Maybe I should go into landscaping.
I will be informing Murray of my rate and will probably take it in fabric. 
Or fabric and Anthony's. 
God, I'm good.

I guess Mr Nasty neighbor got a compliance letter, too.
Cause his roof is no longer filthy and his beds are trimmed. 
I noticed this while I was floating around the pool in a post mulching attempt to cool off.
I also learned that Mr Nasty & his family have vacated the premises. 
Apparently they have moved out to the country.
This is a good fit for them.
They are weird.
The house is not for sale, so I'm assuming they will rent it out. 
Normally, I would be worried about renters.
But this guy was so distasteful, even the Clampetts would be an upgrade. 

Now that the hard labor is behind me, I plan to enjoy my little slice of tropical paradise....
....when I'm not bombarded by workers, inspectors & insurance guys. 
***sigh

Make it a good one. 

1 comment:

  1. I put my house up for sale, realtor 'suggested' I upgrade the curb appeal. Like you, landscapers wanted hundreds to spread mulch. Off to Lowes and 35 bags later...both front and back done. No pool to chill in...but, soaking in tub helped. Now the suggestion is to trim the butterfly bushes back...umm, no! The hummingbirds are loving them, and I really enjoy the humming birds! Besides, it will give the new owners something to do! LOL enjoy your down time!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.