Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Famous Friend

Well, I have a famous Quilty friend!
It's Barb!
She's always been a sewer, but, I'm pretty sure I was responsible, at least partly, for her quiltiness. 

She made this awesome quilt a while back...it's a paper pieced Hunters Star.
I even gave her some scraps for it, never realizing what awesomeness she was about to create.
When she was done, she brought it to me to longarm.
As soon as I saw it, I told her, 'Barb, this is a special quilt.'
She said, 'Meh, do whatever you want on it.'
She had spent eons piecing it and could not see it's spectacularness. 
Is spectacularness a word?  It should be. 
She was just glad to be done with it.
(this often happens on long projects, you just look at it for so long, you can't even see it anymore)
I put baptist fans on it, just to give movement but not to detract from this gorgeous piece.
I mean, the thing is a smorgasbord of scrappy goodness and precise piecing.
Her guild asked for entries to hang in an exhibit at the Allentown museum.
At least I think it's the Allentown Museum.
Of course, this was selected.
I remember having the 'more fabrics you use, the less important each one becomes' conversation with her.  This quilt is the PERFECT EXAMPLE of that!
That Barb, being the sweetheart that she is, gave me credit for quilting it.
And, she had her hubz send me these great shots for my blogging pleasure.
Thanks, Tim!
I'm hoping to get to the Museum when I get back to see it myself.

In other news, my son, John, proposed to his girlfriend, Jen, yesterday.
Looks like this guy is getting a Mommy.
I wish I could post a pic of the happy couple, but I haven't any.
You'll just have to trust me when I say they are adorable!
A big day for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! Congratulations to both of you. Please tell barb to be sure that the quilt is hung correctly in the museum ... those Baptist "fans" need to be UP. The pictures you show are upside down. LOVE the scrappieness of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that myself...I'm afraid it's too late as that is Barb standing next to it on display. Not to worry, this quilt is gorgeous with fans up or down!

      Delete
    2. Barb here. It is my fault if the fans are going the wrong way. I didn't know there was a proper way for them to be when I put the sleeve on it. Live & learn.

      Delete
    3. Barb...the fans are a minor detail in your beautiful quilt. I'm so proud of you. XO

      Delete
  2. The quilt is beautiful. A lot more work than I would want to do! Great job on the quilting!

    Congrats on the engagement!

    ReplyDelete

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.