Tuesday, August 12, 2014

3 for 3 & Nanu Nanu

It's a rainy, cold day.
Sad news everywhere.
Might as well add to the gloom by doing another binding.
That's 3 bindings in 3 days.
I should get a medal.
Or something.
Even with all this practice, it is not enjoyable for me.
But, it feels good to have completed quilts that I can use.
For now...I think I will use this in my MBR here in NY.
Phil said he liked it...his favorite color is green....and it's a nice summer weight.
It's good here for a while, although eventually I see it in FL or rehomed.
I started making this with Kelly in mind....

And, lastly, I must bid farewell to an American treasure. 
His comedic talent was unmatched. 
His dramatic characters could reach inside you and touch your heart.
Patch, John Keating, Mrs Doubtfire, Armand, Genie & Adrian are a tiny sampling of the scope of his genius.
His stand up was 'wet your pants' hysterical.
When you watched him, you could see he was teetering on the edge.
I always thought he had kind eyes.

I read a piece on Robin Williams by another favorite, James Taylor.
JT speculated that perhaps Robin himself was as surprised by his talent as the rest of us.
I think he might be on to something.
Maybe his genius was as much of a burden as it was a gift?
Do the brightest lights burn out faster?
To those who much is given, much is expected. 
I've certainly received hours of enjoyment from his efforts.
Surely his body of work will live for generations to come.

They say someone takes their own life every 13 minutes.
Life is hard, depression is real.
Perhaps he can help to extinguish the negative stigma of mental illness posthumously?
Or maybe he won't. 
Either way, he left us with a lot.
May he rest in peace.


2 comments:

  1. Well said, Meg. He will surely be missed. He must have been in so much pain it is unimaginable to us. I hope he is making them laugh in heaven.

    BK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb...I am certain they are rolling on the floor. I hope our parents had a front row seat.

      Delete

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.