Friday, January 3, 2014

Perspective

per·spec·tive
pərˈspektiv/
noun
  1. 1.
    the art of drawing solid objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other when viewed from a particular point.  
    "a perspective drawing"
  2. 2.
    a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.
    "most guidebook history is written from the editor's perspective"
    synonyms:outlookviewviewpointpoint of viewPOVstandpointpositionstandstanceangleslantattitude, frame of mind, frame of referenceapproach, way of looking, interpretation 

That's it...my 2014 word. 
I realized it last night when I was talking to my sister.
It was the first word that came to me.
Even though I'd hoped it wasn't, it is.
Here's my reasoning.

Life is good.
Sometimes it's hard, but it's always good. 
There is always something to be grateful about.
Always something good happening.
Always something to appreciate.
Always.
Period.

Struggling with a situation, say, finding a motif for a difficult flimsy?
Well, perhaps I need to turn the design or accentuate a different area.
If I'm thinking swirly, try geometric.
Again, perspective. 

Perhaps your reading instructions and they aren't making sense.
Try asking someone to take a look...and see it through their eyes.

Trying to communicate an important thought and it feels like no one is listening?
Find an angle they can relate to and apply that perspective.

Even in the darkest circumstance, say, the death of a loved one.
If I can reach back & remember the best of that person, I'll feel gratitude.
And even if its a brief moment, I will smile & feel warm.
And that moment will help me thru.
(FYI...I will never tire of Dr Suess & Winnie the Pooh...
They should translate the Bible, it would increase readership)

I've always been a mind over matter girl.
I firmly believe 'you get what you give.'
For the most part, you control your life. 
Visualize yourself as you'd like to be and that is what you'll be.
When I'm grouchy, I live in a world of grumps.
Stress brings me to more stress. 
Exercise brings me more energy.
Happiness finds more happiness. 

My perspective has a direct effect on my experience. 
If we are the sum of our experiences, I want more +'s than -'s on my balance sheet.

Of course there are times when life throws terrible things at you.
I've had my share of them, for sure.
But even then, perspective can help.
If you remember to change it.

If it sounds 'PollyAnna' to you, then you should try to change your perspective!


It's not an easy word, but I didn't want easy.
I want results, and IMHO this is my best shot at results.
I'm going to give it my best.

I hope you can find a word to help you through 2014!

WISH ME LUCK!
I'm gonna need it.










1 comment:

  1. Meg, you don't need luck...it is perspective... :)

    thank you for reminding me....life is what you make of it or do...I have always looked at LIFE IS GOOD....some days, are better than others...but Life is good!

    enjoy Florida!

    kathi

    ReplyDelete

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.