Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bday, BeachParty & Gadgets

Today is my sister Patty's 69th birthday.
She is spending it with her granddaughter. 
Obviously, it's a good day to be a Patty.
Happy Birthday, Sister!
XO

With the freezing, snowy weather here, I spent some time today swirling Barbs beach party. 
(It's early for this hideous weather, even for CNY)
I decided it best to finish obligations before my Claudia (P)fun.
I have one more of Lesas, too. 
I had hoped to finish the entire swirling today, but Alvin started jumping up the walls.
I was sure he would be soon gnawing on a mouse, so I went to Trader Joes.
There is no food in the house.
Herman came to check Alvin & left the fridge open while we were away, spoiling all the food.
My good fortune abounds. 

I waited in the garage for Murray to get home to come inside.
He said there were no mice.
I think he's telling the truth, but can't be positive.
At this rate, it will take forever to get these done. 
Once they're done, it's all play & creativity for me. 
I have this idea to try a little graffiti quilting using Claudia's designs.  

On another note, let me share this tidbit on gadgets. 
In case you have never read my blog before, this is my feeling on binding. 
They're no fun to make, tame, attach, hand finish or machine finish.

On the forum today, I found this link that might make bindings a bit easier. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/easybindingwinder/the-easy-binding-winder
It's a new gadget, for rolling prepared binding so it's easier to handle. 
It's a good idea, and it will probably sell well in LQSs.
There are so many Gadget Girls out there. 
I already have a system that works great to tame my bindings.
I use this pretty silk bin my niece brought me back from her world travels many moons ago.  (I have a kickass extended family, by the way)
I set it under the ironing board and let the binding drop in as press it.
After I'm done pressing, I move it over to my Bernina and just pull it out as I go.
Works great!
And every time I use it, I think of my California family. 
And I wind up smiling for a minute. 
Until the thought of binding quilts makes me grouchy.

I'm just not that into gadgets. 
Given my 'fabric collection', I bet most folks think I'm a gadget person.
I like specialty rulers for piecing difficult blocks, like LeMoyne & Hunters star or Pineapple blocks.
But I mostly use my omnigrid 8.5x24 for fabric cutting.
I readily admit to a scissors and rotary cutter fetish.
I have & use my Joen Wolfram value finder & color cards for fabric selection. 
I have been known to use 2 longarm rulers when I have no other choice.
(I only collaborate w rulers when absolutely necessary)
I have a TOWA gauge I use ALL THE TIME.
I like my BOHN chalk pencils for marking. 
But these are actual tools, not gadgets, in my opinion.
guess the only gadget I would buy for binding is a person who would do it for me. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.