Monday, June 30, 2014

Bernie's Quilt

Before I migrated in January, Murray asked me to make him 2 quilts for his honor flight friends. 
He told me they would be given to vets in wheelchairs.
I agreed, and got them done before I left.

He gave one a few weeks ago to a VietNam vet who is not in a wheelchair.
I know cause we had dinner with he and his wife this weekend.
Judging from thier comments, I don't think they liked the quilt.
When I mentioned it was actually designed for a wheelchair bound user, Murray said, "So, make him another quilt, then."
I tried not to react, and ordered another beverage.
I'm not the best at hiding my feelings.
I guess Phil really doesn't get how much of myself I put into these quilts.
John, the vet, is taking chemo soon, so I guess he can use it then.
Or not.

He just gave this one to Bernie yesterday. 
This old guy looks pretty cute.
And he does have it on his lap.
I'm taking this as a success and not asking another question about it. 
This way, I can believe one of them will fulfill it's intended use and has a shot at being loved. 

Sometimes your quilts are appreciated, sometimes not so much. 
The trick is not letting it hurt your feelings. 
Some tricks are harder to learn than others. 

Enjoy your day!
XO



3 comments:

  1. Oh Meg, I am so sorry he didn't like the quilt. I know you put your heart and soul into all your quilts. I would (also) be hurt and it is hard to hide that kind of hurt. Put the new quilt on the bottom of your 'wish list' or 'to do' list...and for some reason it just doesn't bubble up to the top. :)

    I made my b-I-l a QOV when he retired from the Army. The tears in his eyes was the best thank you! My sister QOV is in the 'storage room' waiting for Audrey to be set up in Florida. She keeps reminding me she would like it before she reaches the 2nd anniversary of her retirement. :)

    Hugs,
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to give these gifts with an open hand...no hook attached....no expectations. Frankly I wouldn't make another one. These are gifts, not obligations.

    By the way, please know that there are people (I.e. me) who love your blog. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love. I'm really fine with it. And have no intention to make another. As I said, I'm focusing on Bernie and moving on!

      Delete

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.