Thursday, April 4, 2013

Quilt Shop vs Big Box Fabric

BadAss Quilter posed this question over on Faceplace.
I like BAQ...she brings up good points and isn't stuck in her thinking.
I thought about putting in my 2 cents right there on Faceplace.
But, I rarely comment on her page.
She has too many followers.
It's crowded over there.
Maybe I suffer from agoraphobia?
Nah...I do crowded quilt shows, art shows & malls all the time and without incident.
I am mildly shy.
Until I get to know you.
Then you wish I was still kinda shy.
But I don't think it's my semi shyness, either.
I guess I don't like to comment unless I know you personally.
Of course, I make exceptions for giveaways.
And when someone is really asking for it.
And even then, only the biggest assholes or best giveaways.
Which I never win, by the way.
There is no justice in this world.
But that is a subject for another day.
I've done it again.
Veered off course.
I suppose this is why the New York Times never hired me for their OpEd department.
Well, in fairness, I am open minded.
I would never fit in there anyway.

Ok, so onto the question at hand.
Quilt shop/Big box for fabric.

Most of the time, I prefer quilt shops.
They are generally not crowded.
They carry only hi quality quilters cottons, so there is no need to scrutinize the merchandise.
My favorite shop has a BATIK ROOM!
(this room is very dangerous & should only be entered at the beginning of your credit card cycle)
The personnel is usually knowledgeable in all things quilty.
The notions are so fun to rifle thru.
The patterns are inspiring.
And the walls..well, they are covered in quilty goodness!!
Yes, quilt shops are a no calorie feast for me.

But, I have bought fabric at Hobby Lobby and Joann's.
Most of the time, I buy large amounts for backs.
I've bought half yards of novelty prints for ISpy quilts at these shops, too.
I've bought Ott Lights.
Pins.
Rulers.
I buy my rotary blades at Joann's exclusively.
When I shop big box, it's ALWAYS with a coupon.
Cause I like a bargain.
And if I can get one, I will.

Call me wishy washy, but I have a good time at both types of shops.
For different reasons, but both are fun.
And a sale at the Quilt Shop is divine.
Perhaps the best quilty shopping experience of all.

Unless its ordered online from the comfort of my studio.
Like these Black & Whites I recently acquired from Jackie at Canton Quilt Works.
I ordered them in my PJs at the beginning of this dreadful flu.
They arrived yesterday.
I smiled when I pulled into the driveway and saw the USPS box sitting by the side door.
I knew just what it was.
I'd had a hard morning and it cheered me to think about what was inside.

To summarize...
Fabric is always good.
No matter how you procure it!








No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.