Monday, April 15, 2013

Sounds of Mixed Emotions

Phil and I spent the weekend watching soccer.
It was so good to see my baby tearing up the pitch, again.
Did you just hear that?
The sound of my face cracking the biggest smile?

After being injured in the fall, he has come back stronger than ever.
I admit, this injury worried me.
It was definitely the worst injury he has ever had.
(Thank you, God, for assembling him so perfectly & keeping him safe all these years)
& it was the first time he's been hurt that I wasn't in on the treatment plan.
His foot was so swollen for so long, I thought he would never get out of that boot.
It about killed me not knowing what they were doing for him.
Somehow, he managed to heal without me.
How can that be?

Today, he's learning a new position, and keeping a great attitude.
It appears he's well liked by his teammates.
And I know he likes them.
He's working his brain, too.
He has a rigorous academic schedule and his grades are good.
He's got realistic but challenging expectations and, hopefully, a good work ethic.
I know he's having fun, too.
He never misses the chance to remind me of that.
As if I couldn't tell by the twinkle in his eye....

His first year of University is almost over.

It looks like my baby is growing up.
Did you just hear that?
The sound of my heart breaking?

We've been through a lot together, this kid and me.
Lots of laughs and a few tears.
It's hard to let go.
But I get strength from knowing that even if I could...
I WOULD NOT CHANGE ONE THING.

I was privileged to raise 3 lively, fun and loving children.
Now I get to enjoy 3 awesome, good hearted adults.
All 3 of whom, ARE PERFECT JUST AS THEY ARE.
I am truly, truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.