Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pope

This is a hard one.
I've was raised Catholic by serious Catholics.
I still have a strong faith in God.
And I am full of hope for the future.

The church has suffered so much shame.
Our world is changing & the church is not moving forward.

Do we really need to have a room of tears and papal gowns?
Ruby slippers?
Pomp and circumstance?
Maybe we do.
These things are harmless rituals.
I see no need to deny these things to those who enjoy them.

Personally, I'd like to be able to BELIEVE IN THE CHURCH again.
I think what we really need is ACKNOWLEDGEMENT and REFORM.
Acknowledgement of deception, mistakes made and sins committed.
And real reform.
ACCOUNTABILITY for all actions, no matter who you are.
TRANSPARENCY.
In all areas, the truth.
FLEXIBILITY AND ACCEPTANCE.
Women's contributions recognized and esteemed.
SOCIAL ISSUES must be addressed & validated...from making restitution to kids who've been harmed by the church to mentoring underprivileged kids and aiding impoverished families.
Gays & lesbians welcomed.
Charity.
Forgiveness.
Kindness.
Love.

This is Christianity.
This is what I was taught is the foundation of the church.
Maybe Pope Francis has a similar vision?
That would be dynamite.
I'm hopeful.
Especially since today's dinner at my beloved Francis House was made for us by the Jesuits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.