Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Present

All my bloggy friends are picking one word to guide them through 2013.
I decided to join in the fun and pick one, too.
I went round and round on this.
So many inspirational words are out there.
But I have settled on PRESENT.
Here's why...
I have a busy year.
It's our first year as empty nesters.
After 28 years of kids underfoot, that, alone, is A LOT!
Phil has joined a club that he wants us to be a part of.
Enter social anxiety.
I've many trips planned to visit friends & family.
My sisters and brother..we MUST remain close.
But we live so far from each other.
Maintaining my commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
I miss reading lots of books...
Empty nest means I am officially retired from mothering.
Decisions...decisions.
Should I take quilty customers?
Find a job outside the home?
My beloved Francis House commitment.
Only daughter gets married in June.
In the Bahamas!!
There is dress shopping, showers, travel arrangements.
My son, John, is engaged to be married in 2014.
Lots to think about & plan there.
Baby boy will finish his first year of university in May.
So much to support & be proud of.
Family babies....
I've a new grand nephew and a new grand niece.
In Texas!
Claire calls to me from San Francisco.
Nico.
He's a busy grown man, but I've been missing my godson, Scotty.
And, of course, my quilting.
So many promised quilts.
I have a class with the one and only Sharon Shamber.
2 quilt shows (maybe 3) that I want to attend.
A long list of to-do's.
An even longer list of UFOs.

See what I mean?
I could go on, but you get my drift.
All this..... and it's only January 9!

I chose PRESENT cause I want to stay present.
Enjoy every moment.
Give every minute of this year my undivided attention.

I can get obsessive.
I can find things to worry about.
With all that's going on, this could easily happen.
And then I get distracted.
And miss so many beautiful things.

So, this year, I am making an effort to stay 'PRESENT' in each moment.
When the kids are around, enjoy them.
At the club, meet new people without worry of what they think.
When the studio calls, lose myself there and be confident in my creativity.
At FH, see the good in each resident and make them feel love.

I know it's a tall order, especially for me.
Can I do it?
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can.

PRESENT.
I'm really gonna try!

A favorite quilt on mom's newly recovered loveseat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.