Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Modern Quilting

Today is "support your local quilt shop" day.
I bet you didn't know that.
But it really is...honest.
In honor of this awesome holiday, I am going to weigh in on modern quilts, quilters & quilting.

I've read lotsa blog posts about modern quilting.
And had lotsa conversations about it.
Some pro..some con.
All very civilized and polite.
Cause quilters, in general, are refined.

Here are my thoughts on the matter.
(I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seat waiting for this....
oh wait...
Never mind...
i keep my blog private...
Which means....
I have no followers...
so no one is even reading this....)
And yet I still continue to write...

Art is art.
It's an individual thing.
It's expressing yourself.
It's making something beautiful.
Or making a statement.
Or making waves.
Even the original quilters, who used scraps of whatever was on hand for utility quilts, made them visually appealing.
How about Gees Bend quilts?
These old time quilts have a modern feel to them.

There are many modern quilts that I love.
And there are some I find boring.
I can say this about traditional quilts as well.
It's all in the way your eye sees it.
It's called 'personal taste'.

Some 'traditional' quilters I know say modern quilting is the lazy way out.
They believe you need a plan to make a quilt.
They think modern quilters who are truly 'quilters' will find their way to piecing with a plan.
And all the others will eventually fall into another hobby.
Maybe they're right.
But I don't think so.
I think modern quilting is like modern art.
And we all know modern art is really art in modern style.

I love some of the modern quilting designs coming out of these modern quilters.
I've used them on both modern and traditional flimsies with success.
They're great textures, and texture is awesome on quilts.

I make quilts for my kids and nieces and nephews.
They are young people.
I want them to like and use the quilts I give them.
They like the geometric patterns of the modern quilting movement.
They like the randomness of improv piecing.
And the 'modern' fabric lines with fresh colors and happy prints are right up their alley.
Let's face it...thimbleberries is not for everyone.
I'm a batik-freak.
Not everyone loves batiks either.
(Although I can't see how)

I think any quilt or quilting is great.
Especially if it involves young people.
Because young folks are innovative.
And, frankly, young.
So quilting will stay alive.
For more years and generations.
Which makes me happy.
Because I love it.

I'm all for modern quilts.
Or traditional quilts.
Or scrappy quilts.
Or batik quilts. (In the interest of Full disclosure...especially batik quilts)
Or Amish quilts.
Or precisely paper pieced quilts.
Or Kaffe Fassett.
Or novelty quilts.
Or Victorian, romantic quilts.
Or thimbleberry quilts.
Or tied quilts.
Or 30's.
Or civil war.
Any and all quilt style.
Any and all style of quilter.
Whatever floats your personal quilty boat.
I'm happy to see you quilting.

Lets live and let live in our quilty commonness.
And embrace the differences between us.
Maybe the rest of the world will follow.

Now I'm off to support my LQS.
After all, it would be blasphemous to stay in on such an important day.
And, I consider it my civic duty in these tough economic times.
Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.