Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Happy Anniversary...Never Forget

September 11 brings up so many emotions for me. 



It's my wedding anniversary...
Yup, in 1982 I married Phil on this very day. 

At the time, this day had no other significance other than my wedding.
It was a hot, humid day way back in '82. 
My biggest worry was my hair frizzing in the un-airconditioned Checker Cab that my my BIL Bruce drove us around in. 

Fast forward to my 19th wedding anniversary. 
We were living in Ann Arbor, 3 kids later, life was busy.
Phil was traveling to DC that morning for meetings. 
I was a bit peeved that he'd be missing our day. 
When he left at 5 am to catch his flights, I admit I was feeling sorry for myself. 
I rolled over and went back to sleep.
After getting all three kids off to school, I made some tea and flipped on GMA. 
I rarely turn the TV on when I'm home alone, but, for some reason, I did that day. 
AND I WATCHED IN HORROR AS THOSE 2 PLANES CRASHED INTO THE WTC ONE AFTER ANOTHER. 
Like every other American, I was glued to the news coverage. 
And I completely panicked when I heard of the Pentagon disaster. 
Phil was there...or on his way.
Was it his plane?
Where was he?
I tried calling his cell, and of course, all circuits were busy. 
The kids were calling from school, asking about him.
I had no answers. 
I kept trying his cell...nope.
I found a note on the table. 
A LOVE LETTER. 
As I read it, I wondered if he'd had a premonition.
This was only the 2nd such letter he had ever written to me. 
A short while later, the doorbell rang.
The most beautiful fresh flowers from him.

I was so scared for my kids and me. 
Would we ever see him again?

I spoke to my sisters and friends, and they all assured me he would be fine. 
I called Walt, at his office, to try and find out what I could. 
He said he'd try to get a hold of him and tell him to call. 

And finally, just before noon, the phone rang and I heard his voice. 
He was safe. 
He was nearby the Pentagon and heard the plane go overhead. 
He said they were figuring out what to do. 
Relief.

He was traveling with Ken, a great guy who retired from GM before working with Phil.
They wound up getting a car and driving home. 
Late that night, they randomly stopped in PA to sleep a bit. 
No vacancy. 
Anywhere. 
All the hotels were full of federal agents. 
They had stopped nearby the crash site of the 4th hijacked plane. 
You know, the one that the passengers took over. 

I was so happy to see him the next day. 
We all were. 

And now, on our 31st anniversary,  I'm still happy to see him at the end of the day. 

Life has ups and downs. 
So do marriages. 
I'm glad we've made it through. 

Happy Anniversary, Murray.
I love you.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET





2 comments:

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.