Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sophomore Year

'How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard'. WTP

He's gone. 
It's officially sophomore year. 
For both of us.
I dropped him off yesterday with mixed emotions. 
In the middle of Obamarama, of course. 
Because we have always had impeccable timing...NOT.

Emotion 1.
God forgive me, but my strongest emotion is relief!
This summer was a challenge for me. 
I wanted so badly to tell him everything I think he should know. 
I want him to be happy. 
And successful.
And safe. 
And responsible.
And open-hearted. 
And open-minded.
And charitable. 
And content. 
And grateful.
And tidy.
And sober.
He wanted to party. 
And sleep.
And drink chocolate milk & black cherry smoothies with chicken sandwiches & pistachio nuts.
Which I completely understand. 
His first commitment-free summer of his entire life. 
His one and only stint as the 'pool boy'. 
It was hard to watch...
The relief comes in that I still have my baby, in one piece, with no criminal record.

Emotion 2.
Gratitude. 
This needs no 'splaining if you've met this kid. 
Or any of my kids. 
Fun-loving, kind, smart, family minded, responsible & so stinkin' cute!
They are awesome.

Emotion 3. 
Sadness. 
Knowing that each time he goes away, he'll be different when he returns. 
He'll be more like himself...
And a lot more grown up...
And a little less mine. 
I know, it's what I've been working towards all these years. 
But still...

Emotion 4.
Pride. 
Proud of him...for obvious reasons. 
And me...for helping him be him.  
And surviving the process. 

Emotion 5.
Anticipation.
For what the future holds.
A wedding.
House shopping. 
Murray time (after the golf is over)
Family time. 
Quilting. 
Travel. 
Perhaps a rescue?
And that's just what I know about!

Two Sophomore Years...
His at school.
Mine in an empty nest. 
I think we both will be great!


There is one more emotion...
Fear.
But I'm not going there!







No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.