Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Another Botany Post

Marmalade...I love the Moda fabric line with this name.

It turns out Marmalade is a part of the name of my new orchid.

Ok...I have no idea why that font is bigger...oh well.
To continue....
I love orchids, but have never had one.
My sister gave me this orchid as a housewarmimg giftie.
She named her Kathleen Jane, after one of our sisters.
I researched and found that her fancy, scientific, genus, horticulturalist name is ascda crownfox delicious marmalade.
It's a mouthful, for sure!
She's a vanda orchid, which makes me nervous.
The more I read about this type, I learn they are quite difficult to grow.
Whatever you call it, it's one gorgeous orchid.
I have it hanging high up in the shade of my cypress tree out front.
(I think it's a cypress tree, anyway)
I hope she's happy there.
When I went out to photograph her, I startled this bird.
(A bit of an ISpy moment, but he's there if you look)
I noticed that birdie had moved one of Kathleen Janes roots over so it was resting on the tree trunk.
I'm not sure if this was on purpose, or by accident.
I've been searching the net and can't find anything like this about birds and orchids.
I have learned a lot, though.
One of my Quilty friends from the sit & sew is well versed in flowers. 
Actually, she grew up in CNY & learned a lot of her craft at a florist I'm familiar with back home. 
Between her input and my Internet searching, I've learned these orchids don't like direct sunlight and like to get their moisture from the dew of the plants the live on.
They only bloom once a year, too.
It's roots are exposed...you can see them hanging down in the picture.
If she starts to look stressed, I'm going to try some moss in the crook of the tree.
I'll place her roots in the moss...this was suggested as a planting method on several sites.
I wonder if this is what birdie was trying to do?
I've sprayed the tree above her with a bit of water, but not too much.
(Rain is expected in the next 24...I'm sure she'll love that)
I'm hoping my spraying will simulate the dewy life she craves during the dry spells.
Yesterday, on my bike ride, I saw some moss lying on the sidewalk.
It had fallen out of the mature trees along the boulevard. 
I scooped it up & placed it in the crook of the tree...I'm ready, just in case she starts to fade.

Wish me and Kathleen Jane luck...
I'll feel terrible if she doesn't make it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.