Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Vermont QuiltFest Weekend....Quails, Quilts & Celebrities

O
Frannie always looks so miserable in the car.
I bet after this trip, she'll like it better.
We were off to Vermont to visit my sister Patty and her husband Bruce.
They're hippies now.
Patty packed me into her newly acquired VW van and we went to see the house my godson is building. 
I can not believe I didn't get a picture of the house...it's gorgeous.
He does such beautiful work.
Then we headed back to Kent Hill so Patty could make us a dinner party.
She had a bag of salt potatoes from Hinerwadels. in Syracuse...less than 2 blocks from Johns house. 

While she made the dinner party, I made cocktail parties to pass the time.
The Pre-Cocktails Cocktail Party was held on the front porch.
Grey Goose, Coconut Water, splash of cranberry and a lime squeeze...yum!
Patty's front porch is, without question, heaven on earth.
After a quick change into cocktail attire, the Cocktail Party was held in the driveway.
This was Frannie's first cocktail party.
Inside the new van...I wish you could see the rug.
Phil and Bruce thought the cocktails were too small, so they switched to GG on the rocks with a lime squeeze.
They paid dearly for this decision the next day on the links.
My gorgeous godson and his adorbs girlfriend, Heidi, joined us in the van.
Heidi drank the girly drinks, Scott went the way of Phil and Bruce.
Of course, I made sure Heidi knew how lucky she was to be dating such a fine specimen as Scott.
Notice that I am seated right in between them....I loved him first, you know.
She was a good sport.
Patty served up some baby birds on lettuce for dinner.
Thank God for the salt potatoes or we might have starved to death!
In all seriousness, it was tasty.
But it was not filling.
Or sobering. 
There will be many "quail' jokes in Pattys future, I'm afraid.

After strawberry rhubarb pie, we set off for an after dinner drink (uh oh) at the Barrows House.
The Barrows House is a newly renovated hotel within walking distance of Pattys house.
Walking distance was a must...as we were seriously inebriated.
It just re-opened, and we were pleasantly surprised!
It's a great spot. 

We bumped into Tim Daly of Wings fame at the bar.
Thankfully, we were good and liquored up, so we weren't shy about harassing him. 
Or his co star at the Dorset Playhouse.
Or his cousin, who we were assured would be famous very soon.
Sadly, when you over imbibe, it's hard to recall names. 
Did I mention that my godson is the cutest thing on 2 legs?
Ahhhh, to be young again.
I bet they can remember walking home. 
I can't. 
Oh well, I made it in one piece.
I woke up in bed, in my jammies.
I did, however, forget to remove my earrings.
I am old...that's good enough. 

Saturday we boarded the struggle bus early, went out to breakfast, ditched the men and headed north to the Vermont Quilt Fest.
(Frannie stayed with the guys.
She chased a fox, slept on the bed and enjoyed endless caressing by Uncle Bruce. 
If there was a dog petting contest, Bruce would leave everyone in the dust.)
You can read about the Quilt Fest in the previous post.
I loved it. 
After the show, we ate at the Shanty in Burlington.
I can't believe it, but we had a delish glass of wine...Talbot Kali Hart Pinot Noir.
Try it, you'll like it.
We ate a calamari appy that was obscene. 
We both ordered fried fish for dinner. 
I ordered scallops, shrimp, haddock and clam strips in a basket. 
Patty ordered clam bellies in a basket. 
When she tasted them, she remembered she didn't like clam bellies. 
I still laugh every time I think of this!

After all day walking around the show, we slept like logs til after 8:00 on Sunday morning. 
Then we rolled over and slept some more. 
We needed a late chek out. 

After we finally hoisted our asses out of that bed, we were off to the Promenade in Burlington.
Crepes for lunch and some window shopping. 
I scored 3 tank tops for Jimmy at Urban Outfitter. 
He liked all 3...a miracle!

We headed south back to Dorset.
On the way, we stopped in Vergennes for more window shopping.
While viewing the falls, we realized just how much rain we've gotten over the last weeks. 
The rushing water was violent!
Vermont is such a beautiful state!

We happened across this.....
and it's a good thing we went in.
The cookies were fab....but the Creemie was even better. 
A Creemie is soft serve ice cream...only way better. 
I do not even want to ponder what makes it so good. 
This was not a great Weight Watcher weekend for me. 
But you only live once, right?

After the creemies, we saw a sign for Basin Harbor. 
Patty has always wanted to see Basin Harbor.
So, we turned and followed the signs to.....
BASIN HARBOR!   What a great resort. 
A glass of wine there so we could feel the ambiance....
Yup, I'd vacation there. 

After the wine, it was back in the car.
Dinner was comprised of leftover cookies and devoured en route.
Cookies are a power food, right??
peanut butter chocolate chip...protein!
We passed through a brief, but strong, rainstorm.
And then, this.....
A perfect rainbow...I swear this was my mom winking from heaven. 
It couldn't have been more fun!
There is nothing like giggling with your sister...nothing. 

Phil drove home to Syracuse on Sunday night. 
Very slowly.
He and Bruce spent the weekend golfing. 
Good for them. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.