Sunday, June 2, 2013

A sad ending

Today was Jimmy's last competitive soccer game. 
He returned to his club team for one last state cup tournament. 
I had my doubts about this. 
I was right. 
Today's game ended in a disgusting display of unsportsmanlike conduct. 

After 2 rain delays, play was getting chippy. 
The opposing team was outmatched by far. 
We were winning the match. 
A dirty foul...
A verbal argument...
Much cussing...
Talk of fighting...
Threats. 
A player from our team ejected. 
The coach of the other team ejected. 

A win for us, by forfeit. 

Such a sad way for Jimmy to end such a big part of his childhood. 
Thankfully, he was out of the game and not involved in the mayhem. 
Soccer can be a beautiful game when fitness and agility are combined with gentlemanly good sportsmanship. 
How could this man set such a poor example for our young men?
Young men who, as boys, looked up to him. 
I have lost respect for someone whose dedication to kids I had admired

Truly, one of the most disappointing outcomes I have witnessed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.