Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A special finish

I'm always surprised by random timing.
I've been procrastinating Barb's sampler for eons.
I finally just loaded it in an attempt at ending my inertia.

Something about this quilt was harder than any others. 
It was a chore to make myself work on it.
I wondered if I was losing my enthusiasm forlong-arming?
 
But as I plodded along, the work got easier. 
This quilt helped me nail continuous curve. 
My classes with Deloa and Dawns 'build a house' advice clicked all at once. 
I totally can look at a block and cc the snot out of it in one pass now!


But another, way more special thing happened, too.
As I worked, I realized this quilt is very similar to a quilt I had planned to make for my mom.
She passed away before I even cut into it.
I had a small Christmas flimsy I had made for her that took me years to finish.
Once that was done, I donated most of the fabrics I had set aside for moms other quilt. 
It was just too painful knowing I never got it done for her.
(I saved a soft pink for a future granddaughter, just in case)
The guild was full of older women who would put those fabrics to good use. 
I'm glad I donated those fabrics, I don't want to make that quilt.
But I'm also glad this quilt came to me.

Working this quilt, I could feel Mom around me, as I often do.
In my mind, I heard her saying, 'pink is my color, dibblies & cups of tea'.
She was so silly sometimes. 
A job I was 'getting through' had turned into one that I never wanted to end.
😳

I took the long Florida break and got back to it Sunday night. 
She was still there with me.
I finished it today. 😢
I teared up as I laid it out for one last inspection. 
I know she was looking...and approved. 😍




I'm lucky that I still feel connected to my parents. 
And I never know when they will pop up! 😉

Thanks for stopping by!
TOWTOHC








No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.