Monday, October 21, 2013

Grayling Retreat

I've been a bad blogger. 
Life has been so busy that blogging has been put on the back burner.
I had planned a quilt retreat to Grayling, MI, in the winter. 
Of course, a million things are happening.
I considered not making the trip.
It seems every time I plan a Quilty trip, the same thing happens. 
This time, I just said...I AM GOING.
I'm so glad I did. 
I went with a dear, old friend.
Actually, it's Gail who cultivated my love of all things Quilty. 
We also enjoy wine together, our kids are the same ages. 
We've been known to stay up all night solving social issues. 
Like me, she is a transplanted Jersey girl.
It was so wonderful to be with her again.
Kay rode up with us....I think Kay could sleep ANYWHERE.
She's a sweetheart. 
We went to Hanson House, a B&B in Grayling, MI.
It's a great, old house.
And, it's for sale.
Gail, Donna & Kay in the Hanson House kitchen.
Donna (& her hubs Dave) are the proprietors. 
Donna also joined us at the Icehouse for quilting.
I can't believe I don't have pic of Dave!
They're newlyweds...really warm people.
They made me feel welcome & comfy.
Jaguar, the dachshund, was also in residence at Hanson House. 
He's as lovely as his parents. 
I wanted to put him in my suitcase, but decided that wouldn't be nice. 
I still regret this decision.
Each day after breakfast, we'd head over to The Icehouse quilt shop.
We took over the whole second floor. 
Kim is recovering Tom shoulder surgery so she worked on panels and read lots. 
Sandy & Diana did garment and bag sewing. 
Linda...she has an APQS Lucey!
Linda's elephant quilt and Donnas project, a UFO of her late mothers. 
Gail's quilt...it will hang in a special exhibit in a show.
Gail & I took daily walks. 
We missed peak leaves by about a week.
The ground was covered in bright colors!
Judy made lots of projects...this tumbling blocks is just one!
Here's a group shot. 
Back...Sandy, Judy, Linda, Donna, Gail, me.
Front...Mary's friend (ugh, my memory), Mary, Linda, Kim & Kaye. 
On Friday, Mary came up for lunch en route to the UP. 
Mary used to be in the group and suffered a severe stroke.
Mary is a walking, talking miracle and makes you happy by just being with you.
I loved Linda's elephants!
I made 2 RWB laps for 2 of Phil's honor flight friends and started a bed quilt from my Marmalade stash.
We also went to Delphines & quilters Biz in Gaylord. 
On Saturday, we left early and Gail took me to my 2 old favorite quilt shops. 
Viking Sewing Center in Ann Arbor (batik heaven) and Quilt Patch in Tecumseh (heavenly).
It was really nostalgic. 
Even with all this fun, for me, the best part was reconnecting with my Gaily.
We vowed to get together annually from now on.
I hope we do.










No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.