Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vermont Quilt Fest

I'm back and I had a blast!
The show was great.
Not much shopping, only 1 spool of SoFine and 1 spool of Aurifil. 

Even though I only had 1 day there, it was perfect. 
I was traveling with my sister, who is not a quilter. 
Her many questions really made me see and think about things I probably would have missed. 
And, in my opinion, there is nothing better than time with family. 
Here are the quilts that I was most drawn to...
I think the gloomy weather had me focusing on bright quilts. 

Jo Diggs had a HUGE exhibit at the show. 
Can you say prolific?!?!
This quilt, SUMMER IN A SHADE GARDEN, was my favorite. 
I had never even heard of her before...what a talent!

There were a lot of Judy Niemeyer quilts in the show. 
This was my favorite, JUICED AT THE CITRUS BAR, by Patty Gertz. 
For me, the citrusy colorway really set it apart from the others. 

3 of 1 by Joan Dorsay.
This BAQ was just delish!

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL, by Susan Damone Balch
Susan also had an exhibit, and this was my favorite of her work. 
Just made me happy looking at it. 

This was a consortium quilt from Malone, NY. 
I'm a sucker for a scrappy red quilt. 
This one was exceptionally beautiful in my eyes..I wish I could remember the name of it. 

I wish I had a better shot of this beauty by Margaret Solomon Gunn. 
MEET ME AT GIVERNY, exquisite!

BETWIXT & BETWEEN, by George Sicilliano
Ok, now don't take this the wrong way, but I photographed this because I could not believe what I was seeing.  This quilt is a micro mini quilt, each block measuring ONE INCH. Within that ONE INCH are FORTY NINE PIECES constructing each individual 1" log cabin block.  This quilt has 2874 pieces and is 7x10 INCHES!  Yes, inches. Give or take...
My sister and I were talking about it and someone came up behind us and said...
"Wow!  Thats really something. But, I have to ask.....Why?"
I kinda have to agree. 
But it was very pretty and the workmanship was stellar. 

This quilt used over 12,000 yards of thread!
Yes, TWELVE THOUSAND.
See all those people and horses?
They are not appliqué, they are thread painted.
So is the fence and a lot of the other embellishments. 
It's called, LONGING FOR THE PAST, by Nancy Prince. 
Wowser!


THE LITTLE YELLOW QUILT, by Cindy Needham. 
One of the most gorgeous whole cloth quilts I've ever seen!
**sigh**

SPLENDID POPPIES by Betty Jo Quinn. 
Love the colors, and I think this was done on a home machine. 
Yum!

My sister and I, on the way home. 
Thanks for coming with me, Patty!
 
I loved Burlington and northern Vermont. 
I want to go back and spend more time poking around. 
I'll be posting on the rest of the weekend soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you have something to say,
i'd love to hear it....
and i'll respond if you leave me your email.